Beer
I promised Saf that I would blog about my humble experience with beer. Well I got into the habit of drinking when I was studying in Hull. Now that I have graduated, but the habit stuck on. I remember we used to brave the cold and walked all the way to the nearest pub just to have a few pints. Oh no we won't stopped at the first pub, we will continue to pub crawl from one to the other. We do all kinds of pubs, the local, the gay, the funky, the new and the old ones too. There is this one call Zoological at the corner of the avenue that we lived in which we frequent quite a bit. We liked it there cos it is cosy and spacious and they have pub quizzes! David loves pub quizzes and he is good at it too. The winner will take home a barrel of beer! They served pretty decent haggis there too; not that I am a big fan of the black thing! Then there is this pub called Polar Bear which is a gay pub that we don't go too often. Not because it is a gay pub but we didn't like the place being rather quiet. My favourite is the local pubs because people are friendly and you don't see those rowdy angst teenagers there.
I have titled this as beer but really I don't really fancy beer. I usually go for whisky on the rocks with 2 ice cubes. Yes only 2. My frens never want to buy drinks for me at the counter because of this special instruction. :P I drink all kinds of whisky, the stronger the better. The next choice that I would go for is guinness, must be draught though. The bottled ones just not the same. Other similar to guinness that I like are Murphy, Caffrey, Beamish and some that I can't even recall the names now. There you go, I am more of a ale or a stout drinker. Oh I like cider too, The Strongbow Cider, yup. Good to drink that on a hot day. But my favourite of the favourite ale would be Old Perculier! It is a strong ale yet very smooth therefore it is very easy to drink. I remember the first time I drank it and got so tipsy after that because it was so smooth that I just kept drinking! I had 4 pints that night. Eva used to bring back Old Perculier in can for me from Australia. Yes it is not the same but hey beggers can't be chooser so heck I will drink it!
The highlight of a drinking night was buying takeaway on the way home. We used to go to this Chinese takeaway to buy chips and pour hot curry on top.... hmmmm.... am telling you, it was the yummiest food on earth! Sometimes we will go to the Pakistani's shop to buy kebab or fish and chips! In the freezy cold night, walking home with the hot chips in your hand, that was the happy moment!
I have only been drunk once in my life, that was because I was trying out Margarita for my fren who was making it. Gosh the smell was killing me! But I got sober in an hour time and went out clubbing at the Spider after that. I never like Vodka till now.
Now that I am back home, I can't get a decent ale or stout without paying a bomb for it so sometimes I rather settle for a cold beer. I only drink Heineken. The choices that I have here are Strongbow or Guinness on draught which can only be found in the Irish pubs. They have Kilkenny too which is not too bad. I don't mind German's beer like Schneider or the others that I have not had for a while so I have forgetten their names.
Can you tell that I really do need a pint or two now? Anything for a sip of Old Perculier! The first sip is always always the best! You know I can go kick up a fuss if I don't find a complete clover on my drinks. :P Yes I am fussy with my drinks. That explain why I haven't been drinking because you can't find decent beers here! Well not without paying double or triple price for it!

2 Comments:
Kilkenny is nice! But usually the first sip is the best. I normally only drink half a pint cos its really filling and there's no more room for food which is a no no.
Haha, thanks for the informative post. It would be nice to have some pics so I can identify the brands next time around. ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home