Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Little Getaway

So yes, as you can see from the picture, I made a tour to the amazing Angkor! I was absolutely awed by the magnificent temples. Lots of people have written about the place and I am not particularly good in this writing business so I reckon that I don't really need to do a review. Furthermore, AW no longer needs an introduction. I have always wanted to see AW and when I stepped foot on AW's ground, I couldn't believed that I finally get to see and to touch it. I think everyone should see this at least once in their life time. There's nothing like seeing it with your own eyes.

We arrived at SR at about 11 plus, and decided to shop instead of going to the Wat since half day is already gone. We went to the Old Market where all the good bargains are. There are lots of goods there from scarfs to jewelries. Cambodia is famous for their gem stones; the red ruby and the blue sapphire. I bought a red ruby ring for mum and several silver rings for myself. The silver rings are really cheap! I got some t shirts too and some other stuffs for souvenirs.

We went to the temples the next day. Surprise surprise! It rained that day and it was rather heavy. We were cursing and cursing but decided still go ahead armed with umbrella and rain coat. I was following some China tours and listening to the tour guide explaining the history of the temple. Look at the picture at the left side here and check out the tree's roots firmly hugging the buiding. This is also the same temple where Tomb Raider was filmed. Though it was raining, it was still very humid and hot. Those who was wearing the raincoat even worse, they were sweating under the coats. After visiting a few temples, we took a break for lunch at this French Cafe opposite AW. They only served set menu and the cafe own by this French guy. The food was superb! The salad was really fresh and served with potato and the main course was BBQ chicken. Absolutely delicious! We completed the meal with coffee of course. After lunch, then we went to the most famous temples of all, the AW. By then the rain has stopped. The carving on the wall is really good and I kept on wondering how those people in the olden days managed to built something so breathtaking. AW is also the biggest temple and we walked around to see the carving before exploring the center part. We had to climb some rather steep staircase up to the second tier of the temple. Only Sot and I went up, the others stayed down. The climb up there was definately rewarding. You can see the view and beyond all those dense jungle. I sat down for a bit just to admire the view.

To be continued...more pictures coming up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home