Friday, September 30, 2005

Day Two

The second day we decided to do the tourist-ish things and went visiting a few places. First stop was to the Grand Palace by boat on the Chao Phraya river. We were told by the tour agent at the ticket counter there to take the 1 day boat ride ticket which costs 100 Bahts each. We went on and arrived at the pier that led to Grand Palace. On the way walking to the palace, we met someone halfway telling us that the palace is closed for a private prayers and will not be opened till 11:30a.m. Then it was only 9ish. The guy went on and recommended us to go to the temples nearby first and told us we can take a tuk-tuk and it will only cost us 60 Bahts. He was very friendly and showed us the places on the map and written down the details for us. He said he is working as an officer and was on his way to breakfast. He even got us a tuk-tuk and explained to the driver on where to take us. We thanked him and felt very grateful that he was so friendly.

The real story starts here...

The tuk-tuk did take us to the standing buddha and to this one of the oldest temples around. After that, he took us to a jewelries shop (where the previous guy recommended) where we were made to watch a short video on jewelries and with no intention to buy anything at all. After that, we demanded to go back to the palace but the tuk-tuk driver refused and instead he insisted that we should go visit more shops!!! We protested but he explained that he could get free petrol by taking us there. So we obliged thinking we were still early for the palace anyway. He took us to this handicraft place where I learnt about carpets. The carpets there are beautiful but damn expensive! After that, the driver insisted again to take us to another 2 more shops. Even when we said we didn't want to go in to the shop, he insisted that we should!

My argument now is that were we being conned into all these? The man who gave us the direction and all... was he lying about the palace?

Anyway, he dropped us at the palace finally and the place already filled with tourists. To get in, we have to pay 250 Bahts each person. I had to rent a shirt since I was wearing a sleeveless top. The palace is beautiful and the compound is very big and everywhere is filled with tourists. You can also hire a tour guide and they speak many languages. I heard them speaking in Russian, Japanese and English of couse and I was very impressed. Some parts of the palace is closed for renovation. I was trying to tag along to those groups that have a guide so I can also listen to the story behind each building. Hehhee... which of course I can also read it from the leaflet.

We also went to Patpong (the red light district) that night for dinner and hoping to get a culture shock. Well, nothing that we have not seen before. No we didn't go for any show; once in Netherland is enough I think. :) There's also a night market there which basically very much like our Petaling Street here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home