Ghost Story
Sot's dad lent me a book about Singapore Ghost Stories and I was hooked reading it since yesterday. Reading it reminded me of some of my childhood stories; not necessary ghost ones. I remember we used to stay in the shop lot where mum had her business in town for at least 7 or 8 years. So my brother and I basically spent our childhood there. The shop lot extended long and deep into the back and there's a well in the middle of the house where it is uncovered. All the shops are still there till today. I think I was still in primary school and we were occupying one of the rooms downstairs and another old couple occupied the opposite one. Upstairs was not occupied then. The old couple was running a small stall selling sweets and toys to children and I never seen any family visited them. One afternoon, as usual I came back from school and mum got hold of me just when I stepped in and told me not to peep into their room because the old grandma had committed suicide! I wasn't afraid then maybe because I didn't understand what death is. The old grandma was sick and had lost her fighting spirit and finally took her own life. After all were settled, the grandpa moved away to stay with his family somewhere in Kelantan I heard from the adults.
Our family moved in to the same room after that. My mum did a special prayer and she told me later that she had kindly asked the soul of the grandma to come out from the room and not to disturb us. She also asked the God outside the room to protect us and then she pasted one "foo" outside the room just above the door. We lived there peacefully and we never encountered any strange things.
Not long after that, another family moved in to upstairs and the family has 5 sisters and one brother. That was when we heard all kinds of stories. All 5 sisters usually sleep next to each other in a same room on the mattresses placed on the floor. Apparantly one morning they found themselves woke up outside of the room in the living hall! My mum never told me any of this, I heard it from one of the sisters who was my best friend then.
Perhaps it was psychological reason, I had an encounter following that. One afternoon, mum, brother and I were sitting down in the middle hall revising homework. Across us, there was this old wooden table used to belong to the old couple and there were a few glasses on top. I was looking at the glasses and one of them started to move! I was terrified and didn't dare to move an inch at all. I looked at it again and it moved again! Till today I am not sure whether I was imagining things or the glass did moved.
We moved away after that and I never really hear anything anymore. I must salute my mum for being so brave and stayed in the same room for so long. She never did once scared us or shown any fears and I guess that was the reason why we never felt afraid as well.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home