Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Graduation Ceremony

One of my favourite formal events of the year is graduation ceremony. If my colleagues read this, they will laugh so hard that they will fall off the chair. I mean who would like to attend such boring event on a Sunday afternoon! Most would rather sleep, eat, shopping or watch TV on a sunny Sunday!

I like it because it gives me a lot of pride and joy seeing students achieving results and graduating. It is my harvesting time so to say as I like to think that I had somehow contributed in whatever way I can to their achievements. It is the ending of their struggle with assignments and the beginning of their working life. You can see all those proud parents beaming with smiles fiddling with their child's gown. It is a very warm atmosphere.

I have always been assigned as the name reader for the past few years. As much as I like just to sit down and enjoy the whole ceremony, I had to stand at least half of the ceremony reading out more than hundred names. Nevertheless, it is still worth doing because I get to see the students' happy + nervous faces while waiting for their turn to take that few but glorious steps to receive their awards.

Then comes the photography session! You can see all the flash lights going off everywhere and students are calling out to their lecturers to have their photos taken together.

Have I convinced you enough that it is an event that worth sacrifying your Sunday for?!

1 Comments:

At 5:48 PM , Blogger Foot Futt said...

Its nice if you actually get to see your students graduating. I teach A Levels so my students fly the coop after their 1.5 years. They end up graduating overseas. At least most of them do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home