Friday, February 03, 2006

The year of the Dog!

Another new year, another celebration! I can't believe it is all over now! Well almost. This year is no different from any other years, I went back home town to celebrate with my family. Brother didn't come back this year due to he might resign so he wants to save all the leave days. New year's eve reunion dinner only my parents and I. I got up early that day, went out for breakfast, then helped to pray. I never understood the meaning of serving chicken and burning the "yun poa" after that but I just do la. That took up one hour and then I washed both mine and my dad's cars. So tired after that. Our reunion usually at lunch time; mum cooked the usual and she made my favourite noodles upon my request! I got my first ang pows from dad and mum.

On the first day of CNY, my cousins and uncle dropped by just like usual. I went over to their place for dinner. We had some wine over the dinner and went to the market after that. The weather was so hot and it was very unbrearable. I feel somehow their house is hotter than ours. I didn't stay too late and went back after that to watch the Chinese movie on tele. New year usuallly is the time that I catch up with all the Chinese movies.

Mum woke up very early on the second day of CNY to prepare "yong toa foo" for three of my aunties that are coming to visit that day. The second day is the most happening day since everyone will be around. My dad is the eldest son of the family so all his siblings will come visit every year. I always ask my mum to stop cooking for so many and we can always go out to eat but she refused. I guess its her pride when everyone praises her cooking which they all did. Again, I went to my uncle's place for dinner that night. After dinner, we went to visit my youngest uncle's new house. All my cousins went oh and ah over the house. as though it is the most beautiful house on earth! Out of politeness perhaps? Anyway, my uncle then invited us for lunch the next day.

My dad was particularly excited about the lunch because this is the first year my uncle is treating after many years of very little or almost none existence contact with the family. You see my this uncle is the most kaya amongst all and the most eccentric one. He has always maintain a distance with all of us and made up excuses when we want to visit during CNY. We only visit once a year anyway and only the younger ones will go. I'm not sure what happened this year, he seems like a different man. He was very warm towards us at lunch and he even sat at the same table as us! My guess is probably the age factor la. Whatever it is, dad was really happy. Afterall, they are all brothers!

Things were slowing down on the third day; but cousins came over again as one of them has not came over yet. Her son is so cute and he absolutely adores my dad. To be exact, he only wants old men to carry! The small ones definately cheer up the house and everyone!

I came back to KL on the fourth day. Will blog more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home