Thursday, February 24, 2005

Enlightenment

I learnt something new about myself last Saturday. Aunty Kim did a profiling thingy for me and it turned out that I am in a wrong job! She has been in this business for 15 years and she does job for big names like Deloitte and such. The similar process usually brings her RM300+ per person and of course there's a report given at the end of the session. Since I was not paying, so she only did a verbal interpretation and no report. All I need to do is to fill up a form comprises of words or phrases that I think desribe me the most and describe me the least. The form is supposed to be filled up spontenously without analysing too much. After filling up the form, the answers were being keyed in to the computer and some numbers are generated from the system. The numbers are then plotted into 3 graphs; first graph described me at work; second graph shown my stress level and the last one described me as a person. Well my personalities at work and off work are similar. From her analysis, I am supposely a generalist, good at multitasking, like challenges, creative and I comply. With those traits, I am not fit as a lecturer! She said I should be bored out of my skull by now! Even more interestingly, my stress graph shrunk! That indicated I am either underpaid or having too much to do! At that point, I was rather impressed with her analysis bearing in mind that she doesn't know me at all. We have only met a couple of times and those times were in a big crowd and we didn't have the chance to even talk.

I have not stop thinking about it since I left her house last Saturday. First thing I asked myself was am I happy with my job? The answer is yes. So does that mean her analysis was wrong? Not really. Because I don't just lecture, in fact I have less lectures to do and more of other functions to take care of. I deal with students a lot. And she did say I will be good in a job like PR and sales. Another thing that she said was I will do well if I was promoting courses in overseas and that stunt me because I do get to do that as well!

I guess I am not totally in a wrong job afterall. The strange thing is that I was thinking of alternatives even before the analysis. The analysis only strengthen that I should really think of alternatives.

I spoke to a few friends about this and the reactions from them varies. Most think the analysis about me in a wrong job was inaccurate. Mark thinks I have the attitude to be a teacher; Mani thinks I can't do PR; Sotong reckons I can do better in other organisations.

As for me, I always thought teaching is my passion and I do enjoy dealing with students. So this whole experince is like WOW I never knew that!!!

I also learnt that you should always keep an open mind. You never know what's install for you. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home